Stick and Ladle
- 1⁄2 lb. dried navy beans
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 1⁄2 small green cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb. haricots verts, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 ham bone with some meat attached (have butcher cut in half crosswise)
- 1⁄4 lb. tagliatelle, broken in half
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 fresh basil leaves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Put beans in a medium bowl, cover with cold water by 2'', and set aside to soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, potatoes, leeks, zucchini, cabbage, haricots verts, carrots, tomatoes, marjoram, and soaked beans and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are slightly soft, about 10 minutes. Add ham bones and 10 cups cold water, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are very soft and soup is thick, about 2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before soup is finished cooking, add tagliatelle, garlic, and basil and cook, stirring often, until pasta is tender. Remove bones and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Soup will thicken as it sits and may be thinned with a little water, if you like.