Couscous with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomato
Stick and Ladle
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Bring 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth and water to a boil in a saucepan, stir in couscous, and mix in salt and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; stir in pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, until pine nuts smell toasted and are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan; cook and stir garlic and shallot in the hot oil until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir black olives and sun-dried tomatoes into garlic mixture and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often. Slowly pour in 1 cup vegetable broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer couscous to a large serving bowl, mix with sauce, and serve topped with parsley and pine nuts.