Creamy Clam Chowder
The best traditional, cream based chowder! What I love about this recipe is that you have control over the creaminess of the soup. You can make it as thick as you want, or a bit thin or runny if that’s how you prefer.
Most of the recipes use canned clams and for me I used fresh clams here, this will give you a different texture to the dish.
When u buy these,all should be tightly closed if they're open means they're not good, don't buy them and these shouldnt smell anything besides the sea.
How I clean these Clams.
First, I soaked them in clean water then brushed each, when all were done I soaked them again for 20 minutes in clean water and drained them.
I'm not buying clam juice when I can actually make it and it's super easy. Just pour 1 1/2 cup of water into the pot with clams. Cover and place over a high heat and cook the clams for 6 to 7 minutes or until all the clams open up. If some clams have not opened yet cook them for another 2-3 minutes and discard any clams that have not opened.
Clams are done, take each piece of clam and take the meat and slice.Then strain the clam juice patiently be careful and keep in mind not to take the very bottom because any sands were in there. You can also put paper towels on the strainer.
Also check out these other quick, easy and delicious chicken recipes:
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- clams meat
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 cup clam juice
- black pepper powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 potatoes (cubes)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Pour olive oil into the pot and toss in the bacon. When the bacon has let off a lot of fat and become brown and crispy. Remove, set aside and chop. Toss in the garlic, onion.
- Cook these until they are very soft and aromatic. Add the potatoes and cook.
- After 5 minutes . Sprinkle the flour over the onions and potato mixture then pour the clam juice and stir to combine. Keep stirring until there are no lumps.
- Add the milk, cream and toss in the bay leaves and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Add celery. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss in the reserved clams. Taste and reseason if needed.
- Garnished with chopped bacon and parsley. So this is good for 2-3 people and if you want to try another creamy seafood recipe check out the Shrimp Bisque.