7 Life Hacks to Cut Out Sugar FOREVER
Rachael DeVaux, a registered dietitian, shares you 7 life hacks to cut out sugar from your life forever.
How To Cut Back on Sugar and Adapt a Sugar Free Lifestyle
1. Eat more proteins. Protein stabilizes blood sugar levels and helps reduce sugar cravings. It takes longer for the body to digest it and therefore leaving us feeling full for longer period of time. Choose foods that are rich in protein during your snack or meal to moderate your sugar cravings.
2. Have more fiber-rich foods. Start eating more high fiber foods such as berries, quinoa, avocados, brussels sprouts lentils, beans, oats, and peas.
3. Eat healthy fats. Your body can either burn sugar for energy or it can burn fat for energy. By removing sugars from your diet, you will need to replace that void with more healthy fats. Some of the good sources of healthy fats are avocado, cheese, salmon, whole egg, coconut oil, olive oil, chia seeds and nuts like almonds.
4. Avoid sugar-filled alternatives. For example, choose to eat an apple over drinking apple juice. This will provide additional fiber and nutrients.
5. Say 'NO' to added sugars. Examples of this are sugars or syrups added to foods during processing or preparation. This can contribute to diabetes, obesity, and other related diseases so make sure to avoid this.
6. Use natural sugars. Reduce your overall sugar intake and choose natural sweeteners. Examples of this are maple syrup, coconut sugar, Stevia, applesauce, or dates. They have antibacterial properties and are not as detrimental to your health as regular sugar.
7. Check labels. Recommended sugar intake for men is 9 tsp and 6 tsp for women. To know how many teaspoons of sugar your food has, check the grams of sugar on its label and divide it by 4. By knowing this, you can estimate roughly what you eat and all to get to the recommended intake.
End of day, sugar level has different effect on almost everyone. Some are fine with having small amount of sugar from time to time while others may develop acne, cravings, migraines, and related diseases if they increase sugar intake. So what you can do is eliminate added sugars from your diet slowly and see how your body feels. Eventually, you'll find out that you have clearer skin, you have more energy, you have better moods and so on from cutting out sugar from your life!